Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Mad Melbournites

We have moved once again. Yutaka got a job in Melbourne and now we're here. My first impression of Melbourne? The drivers here SUCK!

When I got here two weeks ago I the first thing I noticed was the excessive honking. I am used to the use of honking such as a short friendly one to say hi, or a long loud 'danger' type one but Melbourne people just sit on theirs. People honk needlessly, willy nilly all the time. Yutaka and I are forever trying to figure out who honked and why. Car horns have loss their shock value for most people here, no-one pays them any attention. Call me country but this sucks, it's just downright noisy.

Today I went grocery shopping and instead of going straight home I decided to drive around my suburb a little to try and get to know the area. I was driving down a road doing about 50km/h maybe in a 60km/h zone when I saw the (young male) driver of the car behind me moving his hands all around. I figured he thought I was going too slow, so I put my indicator on to take the next turn and get out of his way. As I turned and he sped past, what did he do? ......... He gave me the finger! At first I was just surprised but then I got soooooo angry!!!!! I may have been going a bit slow but I was not driving dangerously, nor did I deserve that.

So I turned back for home, trying to calm down. I had literally just made a right turn into my street when I heard a loud loooong honk by the car behind me. The middle aged male driver sped right up to my butt and proceeded to overtake me on the left! That's the kerbside in Australia. Then he sped past, up to the car in front of me and then overtook them too. This is on a 60km/h residential road!

Any more thoughts I had to continue exploring my neighbourhood by car today were totally out the window!! I wish so bad that I had gotten either of their numberplates. Now you may say, 'don't worry about them' or 'just drive slower to annoy them' but I can't handle it when people are angry around me, it rubs off on me too. These incidents today have actually made me feel less confident about driving around here. I am so mad with those two stupid men for making me feel like this.

I miss my country town.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I completely understand. I get people tailgating me all the time, just because I drive at the speed limit. I can understand impatience but it's unhealthy for these pople to take it out on drivers doing the right thing. Instead, these dangerous drivers need to realise that they aren't superhuman robot drivers (like they often think they are), and learn to relax a little and stop breaking the law.

I have absolutely no tolerance for tailgaters. It's just another form of bullying except it's extremely dangerous because it's very distracting and leaves no room for error if I suddenly have to use the brakes. Did you know as we get older we are less likely to crash overall, but more likely to have a rear-end car crash than younger drivers?

Other than these shitbricks who think the rules are made for mere mortals, are you enjoying Melbourne?

kitten said...

I too have found that the bigger the city, the ruder the drivers (in general anyway). I guess people are in just a big hurry. I am a country girl too, but I think a horn should be reserved for waking people up at stoplights lol. or someone about to run into you because they weren't paying attention. I'm terrible! When someone honks at me or tailgates to make me go faster...I go that much slower. One of these days I'll be a victim of road rage I'm certain of it *grin*
BTW, hope your'e re-adjusting to life "Down Under" well.

laddie in Kansai said...

oh yer hubby found a job in Melborne eh?
well I have never driven in OZland but it may happen here especially Osaka.
as ye know, many drivers here drive quite roughly eh?
once a driver in 50's tried to stop me riding my moped by his car. he was a wee bit crazy. I didn't anything wrong with him. actually he gave me the finger too. maaybe he could have been a yakuza lol
next time I want to drive in OZland so I must be careful of driving there.

Rowan said...

Good grief! I'd be furious if someone did that to me! And while I don't have road rage very often, when I DO have it, it's bad. :\

*hugs* I totally sympathise!

laddie in Kansai said...

hey
how are ye going?
I currently work at Askul's warehouse in maishima,Konohana ward,Osaka.
what I do is picking items such as pens to instant food and use barcode reader a lot and walk a lot as well
ciao
yasu