Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Friday, June 02, 2006

I'm ba-ack

Sorry for my long absence. Our computer decided to chuck a fit just before we left Japan. So that with all the packing that needed to be done meant I couldn't update here for a while.

We're back in Australia now. I thought it might be interesting to write a list of things that I first found odd/weird/or just different when I first got back to Australia from Japan. These are my gross generalisations, so just take with a grain of salt.

-loud; everyone seemed to be talking so loudly

-service; not as focussed on the customer as in Japan. Here I have found cashiers chatting to each other rather than serving, one was asleep. On the flip side of this though, I had a lengthy conversation with a cashier at a supermarket yesterday about the price of bananas and zucchinis. Having a good ol' convo with a check out chick NEVER happened to me in Japan.

-the 'formula' doesn't exist in Australia; by this I mean, the set phrases that are used in Japan by people in the service industry. The 'irashaimase' when you enter a shop, and the 'arigatou gozaimasu' when you leave, the 'thanks for coming' and the 'how many people' when you enter a restaurant. In Australia each shop person says something different and I find myself having to concentrate on what they are saying, so I can give an appropriate response.

-fashion; basically doesn't exist in Australia

-fatness; shit! No wonder Japanese think westerners are fat, I have seen soooo many big fat people since I returned. One thing though, my arse is no longer the biggest in the room.

-multicultural; I love it!!!! It's so cool to see all these people from different cultural/racial backgrounds walking around without other people staring at them.

-the crap that Australians drink; at Sydney airport where we bought lunch, the drink fridge was just filled with softdrinks. Sprite, Coke etc. Water was available but was more expensive than the softdrinks. Bring back the Japanese conbini and green tea!!!!

-friendliness; walking down the street saying 'good morning' or 'lovely day' to people you pass (admittedly i'm in a small town right now)

-the perfect perfect air; I have been sucking it up like it's about to disapear. A world away from the air in Osaka.

One final thought before I head outside into the garden to enjoy my morning cup of tea with lovely matured cheese on a muffin is.... I AM NO LONGER A GAIJIN AND I LOVE IT!!!!

5 comments:

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

LOL! I love your impressions on returning home. :) I sometimes feel the same way when visiting, but the best is that my butt isn't the biggest in the room, as you say! :) Tee-hee

Midori said...

My butt is the biggest is rooms all over the world! LOL! :-)

Good to hear from you and see that you got home safe and sound. will be interested to hear your stories of settling in and reverse culture shock!! Have fun!

Perogyo said...

I am glad you made it back safely! Hope things move more into the normal ategory soon!

MomKori said...

Your comment reminds me of the time when I came back to Japan from the States. Strangely I was surprised at the crowd of black heads at the airport. I understand how comfortable it is not to be gaijin. I loved it when I just got back and started to live in Japan... No more worry and frustration about language and culture shock. Hope you have fun in settling comfortably.

Andrea said...

wow!! That is alll and everything I feel about coming back to Canada!!!!
How did your stuff ship?
I gotta go to FWC and check in. I have been slack.